Daniel Dubois stopped Filip Hrgovic to clinch the IBF interim world heavyweight title, potentially setting up an all-British clash with Anthony Joshua later this year. Meanwhile, Deontay Wilder suffered a knockout defeat to Zhilei Zhang, which could signal the end of the American's career.
In Riyadh on Sunday, Britain's Daniel Dubois made a significant leap towards heavyweight world title contention by stopping IBF mandatory challenger Filip Hrgovic in the eighth round. Referee John Latham halted the fight 57 seconds into the round on doctors' advice due to Hrgovic bleeding from cuts over his eyes. The bout was for the interim belt, which could become a world championship title if Oleksandr Usyk relinquishes his titles or is stripped by the sanctioning body.
Deontay Wilder's hopes of a potential showdown with Anthony Joshua were dashed as he suffered a fifth-round knockout defeat to Zhilei Zhang in the night's main event.
"I've heard the next opponent will be AJ, so bring it on," Dubois told DAZN after his career-best performance. "I'm anxious to become the best; this is my era and my time. I'm glad I've got this IBF belt and on to the next." Promoter Frank Warren indicated that the fight could take place at London's Wembley Stadium in September.
This defeat marked Hrgovic's first professional loss, bringing his record to 17-1, while Dubois improved to 21 wins with two losses, including a defeat to Usyk in August. Although Hrgovic led the early rounds, Dubois gained the upper hand as Hrgovic began to bleed in the second round. By the seventh round, Hrgovic was visibly struggling, with Dubois landing powerful blows and exacerbating his injuries. Despite this, Hrgovic managed to continue until the eighth round.
Wilder, in what was billed as a make-or-break fight, looked a shadow of his former self, echoing his previous defeat to Joseph Parker. A tentative approach and reluctance to use his signature right hand allowed Zhang to dominate. Zhang, controlling the fight from the outset, landed a glancing right hand that rocked Wilder, followed by a decisive blow that knocked Wilder out in the fifth round, possibly signaling the end of his career.
Zhang's victory was a strong comeback after his points loss to Parker earlier this year, keeping him in the spotlight among heavyweight contenders. "I lost to Parker, it was a fair loss. He was the better man that night. I've learned since then. As long as the bell doesn't ring, stay focused," Zhang said. "I have to pretend Wilder didn't have a right hand, and I successfully took it away. Road to the championship."
Post a Comment